Old June 20th 19, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Borgelt B40 questions

On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 13:02:53 -0700, moshe.braner wrote:

The B40 I have has a very tiny speaker mounted on it, not much more than
an inch in diameter. Would a larger more conventional speaker with a
paper cone that is 2 inches or more in diameter work better? I.e., have
a louder and more pleasant sound?

I bought mine at least second hand. It came with a cylindrical black
plastic cylinder, about 30mm diameter and 5mm long (1.25" x .6"). One end
us mounted behind my panel with velcro and the other is perforated. The
sound is plenty loud and with a pleasant tone.

The B40 can have a 9V battery mounted on its rear for backup power,
removing my one objection to having an electronic vario as the backup.
But what type battery would be best?

I use an ordinary alkaline 9v battery - PP3 - as the backup battery and
replace it every year or two - never been anyway near flat.

My B40 is normally run off the main 7AH SLA with sound turned fully low
for thermal flights: its my backup vario. However, I turn the main vario
down and the sound up on the B40 when ridge running because its has a
faster response than my main vario, an SDI C4, and seems better suited to
that environment.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org