Old October 9th 04, 09:57 PM
C Kingsbury

"G Farris" wrote in message

I have never (yet) flown in a GA airplane with a flat panel PFD/MFD.
I'll bet many in this forum have not either - but we all will very soon,
because the proliferation of such systems has far outpaced even the most
optimistic anticipations of only a short time ago.

LOL... I wish! I'd kill to just be able to afford an HSI or autopilot for my
C-172.

What I really want to know is how long it will take some kid at Embry-Riddle
in ten years who does ab-initio in a glass-panel plane to get comfortable
flying a 1965 Bonanza with a steam gauge panel.

Until someone starts STCing a glas-panel retrofit for existing airplanes,
we'll be seeing plenty of round dials for years and years to come. And given
how much that would likely cost, it may very well never happen except at the
very high money-no-object end of the market.

Here's a fun little troll... assuming you've already got a GNS-530, GPSS
autopilot, etc., how much benefit does a PFD really add? It is better, I'm
not arguing that, but the cost of entry is $100,000 or more since you
basically need to buy a new plane to get one, versus an equally-capable used
plane without one.

Best,
-cwk.