Old September 20th 18, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default A few newbie questions about the sport

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 6:00:07 PM UTC-5, Paul T wrote:

Sorry can't afford transatlantic telephone calls - I asked a fairly simple

question, why can't you answer this on a public forum?

Assuming you are British - do a search of BGA's excellent magazine; a few years ago there was an article about a student who basically soloed in 5 flights by using Condor to prepare.

I believe the French CNVV has developed a full-up Condor (w/cockpit and big screens) glider simulator for use by French glider clubs.

Our own gliding club (St Louis Soaring Association) in the US is in the process of building up a Condor sim with realistic flight controls and multiple big screens.

Any simulator is just a training tool (Condor is technically an Aircrew Training Device in the lingo of the flight simulation industry) and it's effectiveness is driven by how it is used. Since the cockpit of a glider is not the best classroom, used properly Condor can be a great help to the learning process. Learn it in the sim, practice it in the glider.

Kirk
(been using sims for training for almost 50 years now...yikes!)