Old September 15th 05, 02:10 AM
firstfleet firstfleet is offline
Junior Member

Location: Olympia, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z. Bush
C-82
C-133
As one who has spent the last five years researching the Douglas C-133 Cargomaster, and who flew 1,875 hours as a C-133 navigator, I'll state definitely that the C-133 more than lived up to its potential. Despite serious design issues due to a P&W T34 engine that never met specifications, the crewmembers of three squadrons flew the airplane all over the world, moving every conceivable type of very heavy or outsized cargo. The C-133 was the only airplane that could move such cargo until the C-5 came on line. NASA termed the C-133 "the first stage to space." The ICBM force would not have been emplaced as rapidly, economically or safely without the C-133, which transported several thousand Atlas, Titan and Minuteman missiles. It was the need for such a capability that led the AF to ask Douglas to remodel the aft cargo doors to make a bigger hole, resulting in the C-133B.

My book about the C-133 will be out in April 2006. It is entitled Remembering an Unsung Giant: The Douglas C-133 Cargomaster and Its People. For more info, check out my website, http://www.angelfire.com/wa2/c133bcargomaster/home.html.

Last edited by firstfleet : September 15th 05 at 02:11 AM. Reason: tyopo