Old July 8th 04, 10:11 PM
J Haggerty

Robert M. Gary wrote:

Sounds like you are trying this the civilian way by trying to get all
the top brass to agree to this. The military way would be to just fly
down there and ask the controller. If the controller is bored he'll
probably do it. We do practice approaches into Beale AFB and Travis
AFB around here and I've never known anyone to call ahead of time.
Worst case, they say no. Are you trying for a PAR approach??

-Robert

You're right; most watch supervisors are not willing to commit for
practice approach approvals ahead of time, because they don't want to
create any potential delays for base assigned aircraft. On the other
hand, if you're in the area and ask, they'll get you in as long as the
traffic at the base isn't heavy.
Don't bother asking the "air ops officer" or "Chief, Air Traffic Control
Operations" or anybody else other than the controllers that are working
the facility. You can relay this request through the TRACON or Center.
Incidentally, military controllers frequently notify the TRACON that
they need practice approach aircraft for controller training purposes,
so they may be sitting there just waiting for you to call!

JPH