Old May 31st 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Default Do I have to file?

On May 30, 2:45 am, wrote:
This is nuts.

There should be no reason a properly filed IFR plan cannot be
initiated airborne, if it starts at a VOR or intersection , for
example.

Especially in LA. There is more need to do composite flights in LA
because going IFR through some areas of LA can increase your distance
by as much as 50 miles (vs. using the VFR coridors). I've often
wondered if I could get an airborne IFR clearance by contacting the
tower and doing a low pass vs. actually landing. Over SMO (where most
people want to pick up their IFR in the air because they just got out
of the VFR route) it would also save you $4.14 if you don't touch the
ground.

-Robert