Old July 1st 03, 05:33 AM

Default Black Widow night fighter - Korean War?

(William Donzelli) wrote:

Is that 13 KW peak radiated power? I'm thinking of power into the
system, not out. Aircraft Generators at that time were usually
capable of not more than 2.4 kw, each.

I would think this would be the peak radiated power. If not, something
was very wrong with the German sets. Even the biggest US shipboard
radars, like the VHF model SR, needed only 3.8 kW when the set was
radiating with the antenna spinning at full speed.

I don't see how the antenna rotation speed has anything to do
with it and I think that's ERP 'Effective Radiated Power' which
takes into consideration the antenna gain, a huge amount with
parabolic dish antennas (something like 40 - 50 db - a phenomenal
amount). Also Radar is pulsed therefore the average power is
surprisingly low for a quite high power set.

I believe that the radar on the Mk1 Argus was something like 3
million watts peak and I know that the alternators on that
aircraft were 40 KW each for a total of 160 KW.
--

-Gord.