Old April 6th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Charlie Smith

Default OK, I'm going to ask another fuel tank question.

"BobR" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 27, 5:29 am, "Lou" wrote:
I have searched all throughout the group and I still can't come up
with a decent answer. What is a good fuel tank sealant for composite
tanks, that resist the alchohol that is in todays gasoline? I can't
buy gas around here without the alchohol. There's alot of people that
do not like pro seal because it peals. What are the alternatives?
Lou

Look into the Jeffco 9700, I believe it is rated for alcohol.

Bob,

Strictly speaking, I don't think Jeffco is rated for methyl or ethyl alcohol
in fuel. At least Jeffco Products does not explicitly say this. This is an
extremely aggressive mixture and is worst in the 10-15 vol% range. In the
testing I did for Bill Schertz, it did hold up pretty well but I only tested
for 30 days. I used the Jeffco in my tanks but would be very hesitant to
put gasohol into them. Unless Jeffco says so, you can bet you're on your
own if you use it that way. The Derakane 411 is rated up to 10% but not
over that. I would advise caution since you cannot guarantee how often you
fuel will contain 12 or 15% alcohol and methanol is worse than ethanol.

Lou, please consider using Avgas as it does not contain alcohols. If you
elect to use mogas that contains alcohol, then everything the fuel touches
that is not metal should be fluoropolymer. For hoses, they need to have an
FKM or THV tube in them. The cover can be ECO or NBR/PVC or NBR. Standard
issue nitrile (NBR) or chloroprene (Neoprene) fuel hoses will not stand up
to oxygenated gasoline. They will swell upwards of 100% by volume, weaken
to the point of collapse and stop the flow of fuel. If under sufficient
pressure, they can burst. This is also true of gaskets, seals and o-rings
that come into contact with liquid fuel.

Good luck,
Charlie Smith
KIS Cruiser 4021