Old July 4th 03, 03:47 PM
robert arndt

(Urban Fredriksson) wrote in message ...
In article ,
robert arndt wrote:

Swedish fighters tend to all have mythological names: Drakon (Dragon),
Viggen (Thunderbolt), and Gripen (Griffin).

OK, lances occur in mythology, but has there ever been a
hero who used a flying barrel?

I think everyone will make an exception here noting that the Tunnan
was actually one of the most accurate aircraft descriptions ever!

Also note that drake = kite (take a look at the planform
and keep in mind this wasn't an official name in the time
frame you're thinking of).

I suppose Surte (Fire
Demon)

I think you have to make up your mind if it's Surt or
Surte.

This I don't understand... unless the spelling in Swedish varies. In
old Norse mythology it is always Surte. Translation: "flame God" or
"flame Demon".

is appropriate for a Swedish nuke but I wonder what name the
A36 would have recieved itself.

"Flygplan typ 36".

Besides the obvious. A few enthusiasts sent in some recommendations
with the names Valkyrie and Berserker showing up more than once.
Valkyrie (Choosers of the Slain) sounds great but was taken by the
latter XB-70 bomber. Berserker seems out of place. Berserkers, aka
frenzied warriors, made their presence known to the enemy rather
loudly BEFORE their attack. The A36 approach would have been the
opposite.

Rob