Old November 18th 05, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.ifr

Default Garmin 430/530 WAAS upgrade reminder Nov 15

Rick Beebe wrote On 11/18/05 13:37,:
I'm also waiting on terrain.

Hey, isn't that out already (as of late last year, if I recall correctly)?
Or was that only for the 530?

Certified terrain (TAWS) is only available on the 530 and it's
expensive. Terrain "advisories" are available now for the 430 and 530.
It's coming standard on all new units (as of beginning of September). If
you bought a unit after June 1 the upgrade is free otherwise it's $500.
In either case you'll also need to pay for about an hour of shop time to
get it installed (You could send it back to Garmin but it won't be
cheaper and it'll take longer). You may need a bit more shop time if
your flight manual supplement needs to be updated.

--Rick

Although certainly integration of TWAS into the 430/530 would be nice, the
Garmin upgrade is meant for turboprops that require it under FAA rules.
There is no advantage over having it in an add on unit, such as the
new Garmin portables. If you get a TWAS alert I doubt you are going to be
worried about if it is a TSO'ed, official warning while you pull up...