Old September 13th 04, 02:17 PM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
"George Z. Bush" writes:
DunxC wrote:
Yep, this group is turning alright. Years ago you could guarantee reasoned
questions & answers on military aviation topics. Seems to be 90% off-topic (at
a very rough non-scientific guess).

Any chance of some on-topic chat?

I remember reading stories about the air war in WWI, and I always wondered why
Fokker included a third wing on that unique three-winger fighter the Germans
used and why. I don't believe any other aircraft manufacturer built a line
model with three wings, but I could be wrong about that.

Well, just before Fokker started designing his triplane, the Royal
Navy Air Service had been very successful with their Sopwith Tripes.
They were basically a Sopwith Pup with 3 wings, instead of 2.
IIRC, Caproni in Ita;y was building triplane (and trimotor) Heavy
Bombers.
They'd give you the advantage of more wing area for a given size, and,
if it were wire-braced, a stiffer structure. The disadvanages are
much more drag, both Profile and Induced, and lousy view from the
cockpit. It must have been like flying a set of Venetian Blinds.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster