Old September 4th 03, 04:58 AM
Mike Rapoport

The pilots don't like it because they are forced to pay for the services
that they recieve. Everybody else likes it.

"the people who have personally benefitted financially" are the pilots and
controllers.

Mike
MU-2

"David H" wrote in message
How about examining the real-world experience of pilots in other countries
where ATC services HAVE been privatized?

Want to see what things will be like if/when this administration has its

way?
Look to Canada, New Zealand, etc. Without exception, everything I've seen
about privatized ATC services esewhere paints a very, very unpleasant

picture.
I see absolutely zero benefits (other than money going into the

contractor's
pockets - and that only benefits them, at a cost to everyone else).

Ask pilots who have gone through the privatization process how they have

liked
it. Without exception, everyone I've heard from says the same thing:

sure,
there might be a few shortcomings in the present system (hey, what system

of
ANYTHING is perfect?), but you are much, MUCH better off with the existing
system run by the government. Is there ANYONE (except for the people who

have
personally benefitted financially) who have gone through a switch from a
government-run ATC system to a privatized one who think it has improved
things? I haven't heard a single voice supporting that position. On the

other
hand, I have heard many, many others who all say the same thing: you Yanks
would be absolutely CRAZY to get rid of the wonderful system you now have

and
throw it away in favor of a system whose primary goal is to generate

revenue
and keep costs down.

Rather than unrealistic, ideological fantasies (i.e. anything the

government
does is always bad, and anything the private sector does is always better)

I'd
like to hear what specifically is wrong with the current system, and

exactly
how selling it off to the low bidder is going to address that. Absent

those
details and a convincing, fact-based analysis showing how a privatized

systsm
would benefit us all, this simply looks like nothing more than a good,
old-fashioned money grab to me.

David H
Boeing Field (BFI), Seattle, WA
Visit the Pacific Northwest Flying forum:
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/pnwflying