Old July 13th 11, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_13_]

Default Aviation Oxygen Locations in Chicago Area?

On Jul 13, 9:39*am, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Jul 13, 6:31*am, Andy wrote:

On Jul 12, 9:11*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:

So can we bury this one please?

Darryl

You may have to talk to someone at FAA. *The link provided by the OP
includes this:

"Aviator’s
oxygen must meet certain standards to ensure that it is safe to be
taken to altitude. Only
aviator’s-grade breathing oxygen meets this specification. Neither
medical grade nor
industrial grade oxygen is safe to substitute because they do not meet
the same stringent
standards as ABO."

Of course it's been said many times in many places that this just
isn't true but FAA does seem to want to keep up the illusion. *Maybe
their concern is that someone will top off with some other gas, such
as nitrogen which is available at many FBOs, if they don't insist on
ABO labeling.

Andy

No thanks I don't want to talk to anybody at the FAA about this. The
claims are just not correct for all practical purposes. The comment
may be referring to other manufacturing processes used sometimes for
some low-purity industrial oxygen (which you could not buy if you
tried). But the stuff that goes out into the supply chain for welding,
medical, aviation etc. applications is all sourced from Linde
processing and is highly pure. As Richard says it comes from the same
big container - go talk with your gas supplier (but some naturally
won't want to sell you welding O2 if you tell them its for
aviation...).

Mixup or contamination of any oxygen source is a potential risk. Since
the same suppliers are handling the bottles I don't see one as as
safer than the other. For whatever use the cylinders better be clearly
labeled as O2.

Maybe more useful discussions on saftey are not related to the O2
labeling but the handling of the cylinders, trans-filling procedures,
maintenance and servicing etc. I've seen some pretty blase/scary
handling of O2 by glider pilots, old steel bottles last inspected God
knows when, etc...

Darryl- Hide quoted text -

www.c-f-c.com/supportdocs/abo1.htm

Above link is very educational.