Old July 13th 11, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Default Aviation Oxygen Locations in Chicago Area?

On Jul 13, 12:39 pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
Maybe more useful discussions on saftey are not related to the O2
labeling but the handling of the cylinders, trans-filling procedures,
maintenance and servicing etc. I've seen some pretty blase/scary
handling of O2 by glider pilots, old steel bottles last inspected God
knows when, etc...

I'd welcome some discussion on the topics you mention. That would fill
a real need for pilots like myself who don't often use oxygen.

One thing I'm curious about is the hydrotesting requirement. If one of
the legendary arguments for using "aviation" oxygen is its low
moisture content (debunked above), then:

1. how is water completely removed from a cylinder after
hydrotesting, and
2. how can a user be assured that no corrosion will be created in his
cylinder as a result of hydrotesting?

-John