Old July 24th 11, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

Default First hand experience with GPS Jamming

On 7/24/2011 1:12 PM, Bill D wrote:
On Jul 24, 12:44 pm, Greg wrote:
On 7/24/2011 11:29 AM, T wrote:

On Jul 24, 9:12 am, wrote:
On Jul 24, 11:57 am, wrote:

"Got my first experience with GPS Jamming. Apparently, lots of
truckers on I-35 near the Kansas-Oklahoma border were jamming today".

What kind of equipment do you think these truckers were using to jam
with?

Cheap. Google....

I've seen intermittent loss of GPS signal at low altitude twice this
Summer... now I know why. In both cases I was very close to a
highway.

Things that make you go "grrrrrrrrrrr."

-Evan Ludeman / T8

I know of no equipment carried by truckers that jam GPS. The FCC and
others would be very interested.

Why would truckers want to jam GPS? Also, I did a Google search, and I
only see jammers that work within 30 feet.

From "The Economist":

"Such devices are illegal to sell or use, but they have become popular
with commercial drivers who object to their employers tracking their
every move. A jammer prevents a tracking device in the vehicle from
determining (and then reporting) its location and speed—but it also
disrupts GPS signals for others nearby."

The employers go to the expense of installing GPS devices, but they
don't mind that their drivers are disrupting the GPS signals? Doesn't
make much sense.