Old February 3rd 08, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Logajan

Default Phrase "landing runway" vs. "cleared to land"

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:
From Advisory Circular 90-42F Traffic Advisory Practices at Airports
Without Operating
Control Towers:

Examples of self-announce phraseologies:

Strawn traffic, Cessna 2143Q, (Name - Final Approach Fix) inbound,
descending through (altitude), practice (type) approach runway 35
Strawn.

This issue has come up before back in June of 2007. I posted back then the
reference to Advisory Circular 90-66A (which was published about 3 years
after AC 90-42F) in which it states this recommended practice for airports
without operating control towers:

"Pilots who wish to conduct instrument approaches should be particularly
alert for other aircraft in the pattern so as to avoid interrupting the
flow of traffic. Position reports on the CTAF should include distance
and direction from the airport, as well as the pilot's intentions upon
completion of the approach."

Is the IFR pilot wrong to use FAA recommended phraseology?

I wouldn't think so - irrespective of whether the IFR pilot followed AC 90-
42F or AC 90-66A. But that is just my opinion.