Old August 13th 03, 05:54 PM
Mark

ost (Ditch) wrote in message ...
I've noticed that no one is quoting an "Annual" amount. Sure they charge
$25-$40 per hour but what does their Form 1040 say?

When I was doing full time CFI-ing, I think the best year I had was about 14K.
My best year working as a pilot was significantly better than that, but not
enough. So, as of May of this year I gave up flying and now am partner in a
small business. The money is tight, but the company is growing and by this time
next year I'll be in a good spot and be able to fly for fun on my terms.

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*

I used to fly for a living but got tired of being on call 24 hours a
day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Plus, I only made about $22K a
year. Flying was a job instead of a love. So, I went in programming
and now make around ~60K and I get to fly whenever I want on MY terms.
I don't fly as much, but when I do go out, it's like my first flight
all over again (as well as my skills).

With that said, If I could make even $40K a year flying, I would go
back into it in a second. However my life goal is to make more a year
than my age (38 = $38,000).

Most instructors I know have rich parents, or living dirt poor. Most
are young (under 25) and have been to one of the aviation schools. In
this part of the country, you don't see many 30+ year old full time
instructors. They have either moved up to full tie pilots or gone into
another career field.

I believe the spirit of the barn stormers is alive in todays
instructors. Instead of sleeping under the wing, they sleep in their
cars.