Old June 6th 04, 05:30 PM
Doug Vetter

Jerry Kurata wrote:
How is TIS related to these products? Both WxWorx and WSI are using weather
data from the XM satellite radio network. The subscription cost for WxWorx
is $60/mo and the uncertified hardware for a notebook is $800 or so.

TIS isn't related to the weather, per se. The reason I mentioned it in
this context is that based on what I've read, TIS-B provided by the UAT
will ultimately replace TIS provided by the mode-s datalink.

That means if you haven't bought a 330 transponder, and are not pressed
for a weather solution, it would be better (IMHO) to wait and invest in
the UAT vs. buy a 330 transponder for traffic and the GDL49 for weather.

The only thing TIS has going for it right now is wider coverage, but
it's clear the government is not going to send weather data over the
relatively small bandwidth provided by the mode-s datalink, and they
want aircraft to have collision avoidance information outside the
traditional radar coverage areas so that the free-flight concepts under
study right now can be implemented in the future. Thus, UATs are the
future. The Capstone project has already proved that to be the case.

When TIS weather information is available it will be provided by the
Government. However, you will have to pay to have your display device
modified to show the weather.

True, but I think it's safe to say that will minor cost in the scheme of
things, especially if you consider how much money you'll save by not
having to pay monthly access fees to the commercial providers.

-Doug

--
Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA

http://www.dvcfi.com