Old November 29th 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
Angelo Campanella

Default ILS approaching help

Syucomm wrote:
Someone know where can i find a good guide for ILS approaching in FS?
(EXCEPT FOR FS guide)

My experience with FS goes back to FS5. Though the graphics were limited
and the controls very sloppy, it gave a good workout providing you
already know ILS procedures (I've had my instrument ticket since 1966).

When I got FS going about 10 years ago, it was useful in maintaining my
capability to intercept and track down to touchdown OK.

I have not used it much in the last 5 years because of computer changes,
etc.

I downloaded the FAA' IFM.. Looks like it's been prettied up and
updated, but the GPS section sure leaves everything to be desired. It
merely states the gospel according to the FAA, with good definition of
terms, but you are really on your own as to how to interpret this to
operating specific GPS's. With VOR, it was a no-brainer to switch from
one manufacturer to another. But GPS is hopeless in that regard. Each
mfr. hs his own method of implementing all the necessities. The only
commonality is that they all use English is writing their manuals and
labeling their machines (at least in the US).

Back to ILS approaches..

In the FAA IFM, useful (for FS management) ILS info is available on
pages 7-27 (grand plan view),
8-15 (approach plate dissected)
8-14 (arrival ant-dance)
more plates; 10-16, 10-15.

Read the verbiage before and after those pages.

read up on joining airways and on entering holding patterns so that you
keep things organized in your head.

Angelo Campanella