Old March 6th 17, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Sideslip or crab immediately after takeoff on tow in crosswind?

I was wondering what the conventional wisdom is on whether to sideslip or crab the glider on takeoff under tow in a crosswind. I've always crabbed to follow the tow plane because of the low altitude and not wanting to risk catching a wingtip just after becoming airborne -and after a very short climbout you can sideslip without the risk of ground contact, though I usually continue to crab. However, doesn't crabbing the glider add a lot more drag to the towplane/glider combo?