Old February 1st 19, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David K

Default Surfing and Soaring?

I surf, ski, and soar. Its all the same, the thrills and risks at times are different or comes at different intensities, but I agree the people that really pursue those passions are cut from the same cloth. The only two contrasts I can think a

Cost. 2 decent boards, couple wetsuits and a full tank of gas and you can surf all year up and down the Southern California coast for years. Take that same stuff overseas to Australia or Philippines for the same plane ticket it would cost you to fly overseas without the expense of shipping your own glider or finding one to rent.

Physical aspect. You can fly and fly well for as long want until you heart literally stops working. Skiing and Surfing it seems like the physical aspect of it catches up where you can't do some stuff you were able to do before. I've never heard of someone saying they couldn't catch a thermal cause they literally couldn't move the stick fast enough.

"Barbarian Days" is a well written book about surfing if you are looking for another suggestion.

David