Old August 23rd 04, 08:09 PM
Venik

Scott Ferrin wrote:
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 06:02:23 -0400, Venik wrote:

The fact that it happend a grand total of ONCE and it took six of the
USSR's top of the line interceptors to do it makes your claim that it
was the reason for the SR-71's retirement pretty weak.

It happened once that we know of and, apparently, it was enough. SR-71's
missions were planned farther and farther from the Soviet airspace
because of the MiG threat. And the number of MiGs needed to intercept
the SR-71 is not really relevant - it's an interceptor designed to
operate in groups. Not like the US had any great number of Blackbirds
anyway.

There are accounts of SR-71s flying *directly over* SA-5 sites. In
other countries.

Exactly my point.

--
Regards,

Venik

Visit my site: http://www.aeronautics.ru
If you need to e-mail me, please use the following subject line:
?Subject=Newsgr0ups_resp0 nse