Old August 31st 04, 07:44 PM
Krztalizer

Dave says:

Fremantle would have been an attractive city back then, I was first there
in '86.

We were there in mid 85 - lovely spot, absolutely salt of the earth people that
made it the most enjoyable port call of my life. It was as if our little
frigate was welcomed home by the whole town, which then proceeded to get us
bombed for several days. I got in a bit of site-seeing; met the local Quokkas
and a freakin giant 'roo (in Murrica, we sort of have the impression that
kangaroos are small, bright eyed and cuddly, not exactly the finger-nipping,
ass-kicking, horse-sized creatures that I met!) and did everything else you'd
expect a squid to do after two months at sea. It was a really cool experience
- local cabby and his wife took me in for the duration of the visit, giving me
a great insight into the culture and the hearts of the Aussie people. It
appears not all of them are as perverted as my friend Dave, but luckily, a lot
of them were.

When Australia won the Americas' Cup in '83, Fremantle was
picked as the site for the defence in '87 and money came out of the woodwork
to 'pretty' it up for the yacht races.

Strange to see that connection - here in San Diego, my son's Elementary School
hosted several children of Aussie racers; there was an extended period of
preparation between the races and some families stayed between them. You
couldn't walk around town without bumping into groups of racers. Saddest part
was the Soviet race team - wanting to compete in this rich man's sport, they
sent a Cup Racer (all-Red, natch) and a small amount of support. When the
races were over and they had done poorly, there were no funds provided to get
them home! We had fund raisers to get them back to the Rodina, which had
thoroughly turned her back on the racers. Strapped for cash, they reluctantly
sold their yacht for the ridiculous sum of $50,000 to the first taker. That
boat had to have been worth 10x that amount... anyway, sorry to drift off
topic.

Interestingly, there were stories in all of our media, the last time one
of the CBGs wisited Perth, of all the brothels going onto a war footing
during the visit.

Who would need a brothel in Perth??? Ladies came out of the woodwork to pick
and choose between us! I felt like a piece of meat, I tell you. It was years
in therapy - mostly just enjoying telling someone about the experience. One
sentence sticks forever in my mind - in a crowded bar, a woman broke free of a
table of her friends, snatched me by the hand and all but ran out of the bar;
she turns and shouts as she runs, "I'm getting married next weekend and my
friends think I should be acting like a nun!" (minor cleanup, slight deletion)
I had looked forward to a trip to Australia since I was a child and it lived
up to every expectation. For a bunch of castoff criminals, they really know
how to toss a party and make ya feel welcome.

Before the last of the sailors left, several
venues had to shut down for the health and safety of some of the girls.
Apparently 5,000+ enthusiastic sailors and marines tends to 'drain' the
resources of even the largest of establishments.

I would think it would be seen as more of a 'massive injection' to the uhhhh
local economy. :")

Would be an interesting exercise on the Sydney-Melbourne-Adelaide to Perth
flights, to spot the pinch hitters.

As I said, with the attitudes displayed while I was there, I can't imagine
hookers getting much business there! The wimmin were downright friendly;
squids, reputation aside, crave someone silky to talk to - I never felt more
welcome.

yf
Gordon