Old September 17th 03, 06:15 PM
Michael Stringfellow

Rough translation of the Schempp Hirth notice:
During a flight in turbulent air in Southern France a Discus CS went into an
uncontrolled flight attitude. During the following recovery maneuver the
outerwing broke off 3.80 m from the wingtip. Within the range of the
location of fracture, a defect in the gluing of the spar boom was
determined. The pilot fortunately saved himself with his parachute. Due to
this incident, the airworthiness of Discus CS series is withdrawn, since a
production defect cannot be excluded. The instructions for airworthiness
(airworthiness directives) Nr.2003-265 and Nr.2003-266 were likewise
extended for some Discus b and the motorglider Discus built with the wings
of the Discus CS bT. The withdrawal of the airworthiness will be limited up
to the time the wings can be examined and repaired where necessary. At the
moment we can unfortunately give no data for the necessary corrective
measures, since the responsible office for air in Tschechien must agree with
all actions and an appropriate work date (with LBA, BFU, and SHK) by this
Czech authority unfortunately can be done only after September 24th. The
appropriate TM to this procedure can be published therefore only after this
date. As soon as we have further information, we will report immediately
here
"Chris OCallaghan" wrote in message
om...
It appears that a third S-H aircraft has broken up in flight this
season. Rather than giving private assurances/explanations to
individual S-H owners, could someone in-the-know please tell us what
is going on?