Old November 20th 04, 02:19 AM
Mike Rapoport

"kage" wrote in message

"Dave Butler" wrote in message
kage wrote:

Vx is without flaps. Period!

OK, my batting average is not very good on this thread, what with flying
in the face of physics and all.

Please explain what your emphatic statement above means. I'm trying to
learn from this, but I'd like a little more detail than just defining
Vx by fiat.

On any standard light aircraft wing, all best climbs (rate of climb Vy,
and angle of climb Vx) are achieved with a clean wing. Adding flaps causes
the climb angle and rate to decrease.

Another way to look at it is the airspeed indicator. Anytime the IAS in
the green range, climb is best achieved with no flaps.

Aircraft that come to mind where this is not true are weird one's like the
DHC-2 Beaver and possibly the MU-2.

Karl

The MU-2 has a conventional wind for an airplane in its speed range and
definately climbs best with flaps up.

Mike
MU-2