Old April 20th 10, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

Default Question re towplane airworthiness (USA)

Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Apr 19, 9:25 pm, brian whatcott wrote:
Brian wrote:
I think you are going about this the wrong way.
The rules are restrictive not permissive, In other words the FARs tell
you what you can't do, not what you can. //snip/
Brian

Interesting sentiment. I've heard this said of other systems of rule-making:
1) Anything not expressly permitted, is prohibited.
Versus
2) Anything not expressly prohibited, is permitted.

I always thought that system 2) was more permissive, in some way.
And this is the FAR way, I think you are saying.
I never thought of the FARs as being permissive though. :-)

Brian W

1 is the German way. Let's not go there.
2 is the US way, which suits us fine, though we are still further
constrained by the underwriters, the IRS, and local issues.

"What Brian C. (not Brian W.) and Frank W. said."

General Aviation -including soaring, of course -in the U.S. is close
enough as it is to being on life support without practitioners within it
jabbing needles willy-nilly into its twitching corpus for (really and
truly, to me) incomprehensible reasons.

Bob - shaking head sadly - W.