Old July 28th 03, 10:54 AM
mah

Dana Miller wrote:

I got the feeling from what I had read about Axis POWs that they were
kept mostly in small groups (50-100), spread out throughout the
heartland. They provided farm labor.

--
Dana Miller

Some of the main camps were larger. The algona IA camp held 3000
according to their web site at http://www.pwcamp.algona.org/ They also
had small camps in the 50-100 occupant range.

The Algona experience is unique. One of the prisoners built a nativity
scene that still exists and is shown at the county fairground. Another
was held within 50 miles of a relative who had emmigrated to the US
before the war.

Found some of this out while shuttling my daughter as she researched her
history day project.

MAH