Old December 8th 05, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Yikes, glad I don't have a Pegasus!

I posted the following on July 14, also on gliderforum.com, I received
no replies and no replies to the thread. I presume the FAA recieved no
replies either.

1. jphoenix
Jul 14, 2:45 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
From: "jphoenix" - Find messages by this
author
Date: 14 Jul 2005 15:45:05 -0700
Subject: US Centrair Pegasus group?
| Remove | Report Abuse

Is there a US group/club/association, however loose, of Pegasus owners
out there somewhere? Reason for asking is the FAA is considering the
*possibility* of rulemaking regarding the 3000 hour life limit on the
aircraft and they're requesting input from interested parties prior to
the official rulemaking process.

I understand there will be a rulemaking comment period in the future
*if* the issue develops into an AD - their request for comments at this

time is a preliminary request from the FAA/Industry/Operators
Airworthiness Concern Coordination Group.

If there is a unified voice, or group of interested owners out there
somewhere (US only) send me a reply at , change

the netto to net to reply.

If you own, or know of, a US registered Pegasus over 3000 hours TT, let

me know.

Jim

2.
Jul 15, 8:39 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
From: - Find messages by this author
Date: 15 Jul 2005 09:39:39 -0700
| Report Abuse

Jim:

I know of no such organization; this Usenet group may be about as close

as it comes.

Generally, I don't have a problem with life limits if they can be tied
to genuine airworthiness concerns (as opposed to, for example, an
effort to tail product liability exposure -- not real likely here
because of GARA). 3000 hours is a lot of time. I suspect it won't be
easy to find a U.S. registered Pegasus anywhere near that range unless
it has spent a substantial chunk of its life in club or rental service.

(In fact, I wonder what the highest-time glass ship still in service in

the U.S. might be.)

I'll be interested to hear what you find out and what others think.

Mark -- B9

jphoenix wrote:

If there is a unified voice, or group of interested owners out there
somewhere (US only) send me a reply at , change
the netto to net to reply.

If you own, or know of, a US registered Pegasus over 3000 hours TT, let
me know.

Jim

3. jphoenix
Jul 15, 9:01 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
From: "jphoenix" - Find messages by this
author
Date: 15 Jul 2005 10:01:48 -0700
| Remove | Report Abuse

Your response is the first I've seen or received. The life limit
currently exists in the Flight Manual, however the FAA ACS sheet states

that there may be some misunderstanding about the life limit and they
may issue rulemaking to clarify (in other words mandate the life limit
with a US AD).

This is an opportunity for Pegasus owners to influence the creation of
the NPRM, if necessary, prior to the NPRM being issued. A description
of the ACS process can be found he

http://www.faa.gov/certification/air...ceACSGuide.doc

This process is followed for al AD's.

After the NPRM is published, another period for comment is afforded.
I'll post the issue on the gliderforum.com, I see there's a Pegasus
thread running there.

Jim

Jim