Old April 7th 04, 05:51 AM
Fred J. McCall

Mary Shafer wrote:

: Well, there are the rescue squadrons here, but I don't recall ever
: seeing that patch here. On another note, Air Force unit patches
: are typically (almost universally, as far as I have seen) round,
: rather than triangular. The AZ National Guard units have a non-round
: patch, but that is in the shape of the State of Arizona.
:
:I think that's because round patches are cheaper. I used to be on the
ryden Exchange Committee, which ran our gift shop, and that was
:something we suggested to patch designers to keep costs down.
:
:I have a translation from rec.org.sca now. The "de multe nocte noli
:rogare" is, approximately, "Don't ask what we do late at night" and
:"classis caece" is "invisible or secret military group or fleet",
:which may be "stealth squadron".
:
:So I'm going with the 49th at Holloman AFB.

Probably right. I never paid attention to what was on it, but I could
swear that at least one F-117 squadron has the triangular patches. I
happened to spend some time sitting in a large room where there were
also some green bags from a stealth squadron.

The Navy also uses at least some triangular patches, by the way. I
used to wear one.

--
"This is a war of the unknown warriors; but let all strive
without failing in faith or in duty...."

-- Winston Churchill