Old January 8th 18, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kiwi User

Default Lubricant for spar pins

On Sun, 07 Jan 2018 15:35:29 -0800, john firth wrote:

Wot? nobody pushing good old WD 40?

Geez: don't ever think its a lubricant. Its a glue once it dries out!

Sure, use it to loosen frozen bearings, wing pins etc. but once its done
that magic, flush it out with a decent solvent and, if the bearing/pin/
etc needs it, re-lubricate with the appropriate grease or oil.

How do I know? Many years of flying competition free flight power models
in dusty places, that's how. After each flight in a dusty place (Taft or
Lost Hills for my US readers, Poitou and the Flevoland comps for the
rest) you need to blast the dust out of the clockwork engine + d/t timer
before the next flight, and a WD40 rattle can is a good as anything for
that. However, if you don't immediately strip and clean the timer after
the contest has ended, it will not run next time you go out to fly
because the WD40 solvent has evaporated, leaving sticky goo on all the
cogs in the timer.

Those of you who have flown F/F power models will know this, but it may
surprise the rest.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie