Old October 18th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default 737 Replacement

john smith wrote:
An interesting column in today's WSJ predicts that Boeing will take
advantage of the European squabbles over AirBus to design and build a
737 replacement. The theory being that AirBus is so mired in its
political protectionism and the loss of billions of dollars on the A380
and A350 that it will be decades before they will even be able to think
about building a third new aircraft.

This has actually been in the works for some time. I interviewed for a
job at Boeing in May 2005, and they guys I was interviewing with told
me that there were plans to come out with a plastic 737 based on the
787 technology.

I was offered two different positions working on the 787, but since the
salary was comparable to an offer I had in Idaho, and the cost of
living is so much higher in Seattle, I just couldn't justify moving my
family there. I had previously worked at Boeing on the 777 and knew it
would have been fun to work on the 787, but when you have a family
there are other considerations to think about.

Dean