Old February 24th 14, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Towplane-Baron accident

Lagrange-Calloway airport in Georga is an uncontrolled airport, meaning no
control tower. At those, there is no active runway but more a preferred
runway which is used by consensus based upon wind or other conditions.
There is nothing to preclude a pilot from using a runway different from what
everyone else is using.

At Moriarty, NM, we routinely launch gliders on Rwy 26 for convenience even
with a 15 kt cross wind or with a slight tail wind due to more runway
available to the west than to the east. Regular power traffic will use Rwy
18-36 when we have a high crosswind, but, having no towout gear for our
Grobs, we use 8-26 until the wind gets too high and then we shut down. I've
towed visiting gliders on Rwy 18 and then landed on 26 to tow local gliders.
When crossing runways are in use, we use common courtesy and right of way
rules to avoid collisions.

"Shooting an approach" is a common slang term for executing an instrument
approach.

"Don Johnstone" wrote in message
At 08:56 24 February 2014, Alan wrote:
In article "Sean F (F2)" writes:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ng-glider.html

This story, with the BOLD headline, "3 killed in Georgia plane crash as
aircraft 'tried to avoid hitting a glider" is now being distributed
worldwide via outlets as large as DailyMail UK.

This is out of control if the facts are as incredibly different as they
are reporting. This is very damaging to the sport of soaring for sure.

Why? What did the glider operation do wrong?

One thing you may learn, as you go through life, is that in almost any
event where you know the actual story, you will see that the story
published
in the media is wrong, frequently in extreme ways.

Another thing is that witnesses are generally of no credibility.

In this case, we recognize that there is no practice called "shoot
instrument approach". It gives us a clue that the writer didn't know
much about aviation.

One might get a correction published, but wouldn't you rather rely on
the very short memory of the collective population?

Alan

Politicians oft refer to the 24 hour news cycle. You generally only
increase an item of news beyond 24 hours if you have something interesting
to add, often far wiser to let the story die of starvation