Old June 12th 18, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cobra trailer stuck closed

On Sunday, June 10, 2018 at 5:46:03 PM UTC-4, Steve Koerner wrote:
On Sunday, June 10, 2018 at 2:30:34 PM UTC-7, Auxvache wrote:
On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 7:42:23 AM UTC-4, Auxvache wrote:
Anyone have any experience with the gas strut failing in the compressed position? My 2002 fiberglass top didn't quite open fully on its own in March, so I ordered replacement struts. Unfortunately, the next time out the top only opened a few feet, then progressively less as I tried to lower and then raise it. Now it is stuck closed and will not open even a crack despite two people hauling on it. Did I mention the glider is still inside? I can't get to the strut from the front door with the fuse and wing in the way.

So, I'm trolling for ideas on how to force the top open without damaging something. Thanks in advance.

Thanks very much everybody for the helpful replies. FWIW, the top definitely feels actively pulled down, not just mass + gravity. We'll try lifting and blocking it in steps as suggested. And yes photo documentation--probably going to be good for some laughs...

Even with no pressure in the cylinders, you'll still have damping force that will be resisting the rate of motion. If you lift slowly enough the damping force approaches zero; then all you'll have is gravity to deal with.

I like Steve's idea. Maybe use an engine hoist or such on the rear handles with a bit more than top weight( say 200 lb), walk away and see if it starts to creep open.
Another voice hear from.
UH