Old November 16th 17, 07:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Best consistent ridge soaring site

On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 7:05:37 AM UTC+3, wrote:
Dillingham Airfield on Oahu is the absolute best ridge soaring site. The trade winds are very consistent. The view is impossible to top. A 500 foot tow and you are off. Leave the ridge and fly out over the ocean to look down at the coral reefs.

I have done it five times. The winds failed to blow on only two days. Within two days things were good again.

I don't think you've really experienced ridge soaring until you've done a 50 km or 100 km or longer run at high speed without turning.

Doesn't look possible there.

Along the chain on the east coast of the island, maybe, but that's a totally different wind direction than would make Dillingham local ridge work.