Old September 23rd 19, 08:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default RIP Barron Hilton

Great Man... Barron Hilton Cup was an example and an inspiration for me to organize invitational one class, two weeks gliding contest in Leszno, Poland in 1991, 1992, 1993. My goal in organizing this international contest, by sending personal invitations to the outstanding glider pilots all over the world, was to give the pilots, flying the same glider type Jantar Standard, an opportunity to exchange their experience and techniques, build up the community of like minded people.
22-28 participants from Australia, New Zealand, the UK, the USA,and Poland, met in a friendly competition. They raced gliders over Poland, they made friends, establishing long lasting ties with the follow-up visits to each other's countries. The winner of the Contest in 1992 was Ivan Evans, New Zealand's champion.
Today, 27 years later, I recollect this event with great satisfaction as my goal was achieved. Got idea from Barron Hilton.
There is a big permanent landmark called "Hilton" a mile West of Leszno airfield, huge grain elevator named "Hilton" by American pilots.
"Hilton" grain storage at 1:16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz2LVcfXrPs&t=59s