Old November 8th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.balloon,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

Default Episode of NOVA about Alberto Santos-Dumont airs this week.

"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
Just FYI to readers in the U.S.:

The PBS NOVA TV series is airing a new episode on Tuesday, November
7th (tomorrow as I write this) about Alberto Santos-Dumont titled
"Wings of Madness". Here's the web page on the program:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/santos/

For those unfamiliar with him, Alberto was one of the pioneers of
both lighter and heavier-than-air flight. IMHO, Alberto could be
considered the homebuilder's homebuilder.

(You probably should check your local listings for actual date and
time.)

I watched most of this documentary.

It has yet to air in my time-zone!

One question I had about the replica 14-bis they flew in the
documentary is that it appeared to have ailerons or some other movable
control surface in the outer bay on each wing. Was this true to the
original, or was it an addition to give the occupant some semblance of
roll control?

The Wikipedia entry claims ailerons were added to the 14-bis after the
initial prize-winning flight:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14-bis

"...The 14-bis was repaired, and ailerons were added to the middle of each
outermost wing cell (similar to the aileron layout later used in the famous
Curtiss Model D Pusher). These ailerons were actuated by cables attached to
the pilot's flightsuit at the shoulders. Movement of the shoulders thus
actuated roll control, similarly to the hip-movement roll-actuation control
on the Wright Flyer."