Old May 9th 19, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Christopher Schrader[_2_]

Default 17m & 20m Volunteer Mentor Pilots Wanted for Junior Camp Contest,Elmira, NY, July 14-20, 2019

Pilot-owners of G-103, ASK-21, or 20-meter advanced trainers who hold a Commercial Glider rating or CFI-G are needed to mentor Juniors at the 2019 US Junior Camp Contest at Harris Hill, in Elmira, NY, July 14-20, 2019.

Volunteer pilots need to have extensive cross-country and racing experience.. Likewise, former National Champions and/or US Team members are highly encouraged to reach out to us too. Clubs who can sponsor and provide the camp with a ship and qualified mentor pilot are encouraged to help out too. Please call me with any questions or concerns.

Flight instructors and experienced racing pilots who would like to give a presentation as a featured guest lecturer at the Junior Camp Contest are encouraged to contact me too. The ground school portion of the camp will address a wide-range of topics that range from safety issues (such as how to enter and thermal safely in a gaggle) to utilizing lift-lines, cloud streets, and convergence to improve your speed around course. We also hope to break into groups to analyze Junior pilot flight logs to discuss the factors that effect speed and racing tactics.

For more information about the camp, please e-mail me directly with your contact info. Either myself or JP Stewart will get back to you shortly.

Thank you,

Chris Schrader,
SSA Director, Region 6

P.S. Just for clarification, all volunteer, Mentor Pilots are the PIC of their own aircraft. Juniors ought not to control the aircraft during critical phases of flight. Mentor pilots are not providing "flight instruction" as defined by FAR's. Therefore, the responsibility for the safety of both the pilot and passenger lie solely on the PIC operating the aircraft. SSA contest waivers and entry forms will be required of all volunteers and Junior camp participants. Likewise, all Junior participants will be indemnifying both the SSA and its volunteer, Mentor Pilots as a condition of participating in the Junior Camp Contest.