Old August 27th 09, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

Default Towpilot fatality in Oregon

When I looked at the video, I did not get the impression of a low climb out.
It appeared normal to me.

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
"Larry Goddard" wrote:
"Jim Logajan" wrote:
Craig wrote:
More bad news in a tough year. Heartfelt condolences to all
involved. http://kezi.com/news/local/138726

The tow pilot was Scott Henderson. An article on him:

http://www.kval.com/news/local/54590042.html#IDCThread

He did a lot to advance the club - basically finding it a new home,
expanding the days that towing would be available, and kept everyone
in the loop on club activities.

Here's a story on his efforts last year:

http://www.thecreswellchronicle.com/...?story_no=6008

My condolences to all!

In looking at a video shot earlier in the day of a glider launch, it
appeared to me that the pawnee was not climbing very well... Creswell
elevation is only 540 feet. And the temperature only got up to the
low 70's that day. http://www.kval.com/news/local/54613062.html

Yes - the climb angle does appear low - at least compared to last year
when
we launched off an 1890 foot grass airstrip (OG48) with the same tow plane
and glider (but different tow pilot.) The asphalt airfield (77S) you see
in
that video is 3100 feet.