Old February 29th 12, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann

Default Article on glide strategy

Ramy wrote:
Please explain why safety MC doesn't make a lot of sense.

Safety MC was implemented to degrade the polar, nothing else. It has
no effect on speed suggestions or anything else related to MacCready's
theory.

So what you probably want is a third polar degradation setting:

1. "polar degradation" adjusts the configured polar to match your
real-world glider (persistent, new XCSoar 6.3 feature)

2. "bugs" adjusts the polar to match the dirty glider (not persistent,
has always been there)

3. "safety degradation" to replace "safety MC"; basically the same as
"safety MC" just with a name and definition that makes more sense.

I'm not 100% sure about this; these are just my unfinished thoughts
after weeks of reading XCSoar's glide solver code. Maybe safety MC is
a setting to account for long distances of sink lacking any lift, and
the setting should be the expected sink value (and not the expected
lift value in the next thermal!).

Max