Old September 26th 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Excessive valve clearance cause low power?

Dave wrote:
: Exhaust restriction? Bad mufflers can rob lots of power and be
: intermittent.
: I'm not saying valve clearance isn't the problem, but your clearances
: don't seem extreme.
: Also, plugs can test well but the internal resistance can bugger things
: up. I've read that 5k ohms or over may be excessive. The spark will find
: easier places to go than across the electrodes.
: good luck

As I said in my initial message, muffler baffles checked and fine. I have overhauled the mufflers this year due to
cracks in the end plates, but the baffles were fine when they were removed.

As far as the plugs, we replaced them about a year ago. Had the intermittent failures with the old plugs, new plugs,
and mag drops were fine in all cases. Doesn't seem to be ignition-related.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *