Old October 21st 16, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

Default US Competition Pilot Poll and Election

Erik,

Nice analysis, Thanks for the effort. I also think that the "us/them" discussion overlooks the vast differences in distance that US competitors have to travel in order to compete "nationally". That plays in the time factor. In most European countries the travel across the country can be done in a day, two at the most, while if you want to do that in the US you need 4 days minimum (unless you want to be too fatigued to fly when you get there).

I'm in the "old man" age group, but I also want to race a defined course. I've been part of the soaring scene since the late '60's, as a crew first and then just an onlooker as my family came and the left home. I now get to jump in with both feet (wings) but the "contests" are not racing, just as Sean complains.

I'm on the west coast and it would take more than 15 days to take the trip to the SGP in FL. Not in the cards for me. I might have to take up the gauntlet to try and run one on the left coast.

Sean, I'll get in touch.

Mike