Old May 14th 05, 09:50 AM
Juan Jimenez

"MikePalmer" wrote in message
news:YYghe.10188$D91.3977@fed1read01...
The 3600a already has a 256-colors screen.

You're correct. My mistake. I misread Garmin's "16 bit color" as 16
colors.

Okay, so all they have to add is Bluetooth (and maybe a slightly faster
processor) and I'll bite.

I wrote a review of the 3600a for www.aero-news.net, use the search function
and look for "3600a".. I thought it was an outstanding value for the money,
but I also thought that the lack of wireless connectivity was a drawback,
one of very few I found.

Someone told me Lowrance is going to add terrain to their 2000C. But if I
can use a $1000 product outside the cockpit, that's more utility for the
money.

The 2000c has a number of problems, mostly related to QA. I wrote a review
of that unit as well, I only gave it 2.5 stars out of five (the Garmin 3600a
got 4.5). For example, under some conditions oceans disappear, as well as
shorelines, and it seems to me that the rendering was ported directly from
the greyscale version, resulting in very poor use of color. There are errors
with things like country names in their database, and the translations of
the user interface (which I know are not an issue for you) are not very
good, as well as incomplete. The unit doesn't last long on the AA batteries,
or even NiMH, but Lowrance does warn you about that (but on the other
hand... the Garmin 3600a doesn't have a removable battery pack, which si a
big drawback IMO -- if your electrical fails, you're dead in the water, and
you can't use it on aircraft that don't have a generator or an accessory
plug from a battery.)

Juan