Old October 7th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
John Weiss

Default GREEN CARD

"B.C. MALLAM" wrote...
I held an instrument "green" card when I was in the Navy. I know you had
have something like 2500 hours before you took the ride for it but can't
remember what else it was for. Anyone remember? Or is it still around.

The "Special Instrument Rating" allowed you to take off with less than
200-1/2 weather (300-1 without PAR available). Most of us who had one
never used the capability -- we were smart enough by then to know it was
REALLY stoopid! :-)

Ours were blue, not green. The CO or Ops O punched a hole in it with a
paper punch. The added wisdom upon presentation was, "Hold the card up to
the sky. If the color in the hole matches, you can take off."