Old July 17th 08, 06:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Andy Asberry[_2_]

Default Aerodynamic...but not aircraft

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:58:06 -0500, Charlie
wrote:

I'd be betting against making the camper higher than the trailer. At
least on a/c, drag is reduced if the trailing body is slightly larger
than the object ahead of it. Ailerons with leading edges that are
slightly fatter than the wing trailing edge come to mind. If you can't
make a smoothly faired transition to a smaller cross section, the drag
will go up a lot. Think round gear leg vs one with a teardrop shaped
fairing.

I'm aware of the stabilizer/control surface intersection but they
aren't four feet apart.

Take a look at big tractor-trailer rigs. the air dams on the tractors
aren't higher than the trailers.

I suspect this due more to height restriction. They are several feet
apart also. I might have to look into this some more.

Charlie
I'm not an aerodynamicist, but I do know one. :-)

--Andy Asberry--