Old January 8th 18, 05:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Debunking the Shock Cooling Myth

As the club treasurer, of course my interest is piqued.

We installed a computerized CHT analyzer. It made everyone sort of 'experiment' a bit with technique. I could very easily find many ways to trip the 'shock cooling' alarm.

They all seemed to be when I tried any method to fly 'fast' downhill.

Seemed in the bird dog, you could cover a lot of ground, and go down at 1k FPM... OR you could fly slow, and come down at 1k FPM. The slow way made you keep the shock cooling alarm from going off.

Kind of answered it for me.

The analyzer did reveal a pilot who was not operating at WOT. The temps he was reporting gave away that he had been taught the wrong way. He was running VERY hot on the climbs. Need that fuel for cooling.

JP