Old March 11th 10, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Typhoon502

Default "Vanishing American Air Superiority"

On Mar 10, 8:27*pm, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:
On Mar 10, 4:03 pm, Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Mar 10, 1:56 pm, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

How would lasers mounted on the AWAC affect the dynamic?...
Ken-

Ever been on an AWACS? They are quite full of people watching
terminals, not much room for megawatt laser power supplies.
jsw

Here's a recent report about mobile LASER capability,http://www.msnbc.msn..com/id/4926840
where we'll be in 5-10 years together with better electronics is hard
to say. It's reminds of a B-17 type turreted gunship using LASER
pulses in place of bullets, it's (reportedly) been demo'd.

Hard to say but easy to assume that AWACS platforms won't be getting
any bigger, so it's not like there will be all this spare space and
power capacity. AWACS will continue to be dependent on fighter cover;
any self-defense capability will probably come from heavy focused
beams of microwave frying Red Force avionics (or injecting code bugs
into them...I've heard about that more than once from informed
sources).