Old March 11th 10, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Dan[_12_]

Default "Vanishing American Air Superiority"

Ken S. Tucker wrote:
Danelda, you're still posting, nice to hear from you.

On Mar 10, 6:59 pm, Dan wrote:
Ken S. Tucker wrote:
On Mar 10, 4:03 pm, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Mar 10, 1:56 pm, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:
How would lasers mounted on the AWAC affect the dynamic?...
Ken-
Ever been on an AWACS? They are quite full of people watching
terminals, not much room for megawatt laser power supplies.
jsw
Here's a recent report about mobile LASER capability,
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4926840
where we'll be in 5-10 years together with better electronics is hard
to say. It's reminds of a B-17 type turreted gunship using LASER
pulses in place of bullets, it's (reportedly) been demo'd.
Ken

Last I heard the lasers in question were chemical lasers which fill
the cargo bay of a 747. I don't think you have a clue how little free
space is AWACS. It's obvious you have never been in one, I have.
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Late 60's Star Trek had 'communicators', in the 70's I worked with
others on digitizing TX/Rx, now a 10 yr old brat has more ability in
a cell phone (like 20x eh) than Cpt Kirk had in the fiction of
2200's,
It's applied physics, personally I'd perfer humans negotiate rather
than exploite that power to kill each other, what do you think?
Ken

Noted as unresponsive.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired