Old September 3rd 03, 01:00 AM
Del Rawlins

On 02 Sep 2003 12:08 PM, Shin Gou posted the following:

A 360hp engine using mogas? I'd be a little skeptical about using it
with confidence even if it works. What engine is it?

The Moose uses the Russian M-14P radial, which I am told burns mogas
just fine, along with (and I quote) "whatever the russians call gasoline.
" There is a builder installing this engine in a Bearhawk, but since it
is a slightly smaller, lighter plane than the Moose it is requiring some
airframe mods and probably is more trouble than it is worth, considering
that the 260hp (lycoming, also autogas) version is reputed to climb like
a raped ape and doesn't need the airframe mods.

I believe there is/was a Chinese version of the M-14P but I don't think
it made the full 360hp. If the engines/parts are available in your
country that might be a deciding factor.

Flying a Cessna 172 or so is extremely hassle and expensive. But the
tricky thing is there's no rule upon kit or plan-built planes. Maybe
the government never thought its people would build airplanes. So if I
keep a low profile, I can fly such a plane without filing and paying a
flight plan up to one week ahead, paying for each t/o and landing,
paying for the use of airspace, paying for ATC........etc etc. But
hey, the other side of the coin of unrule is that if I **** off
someone, every government agency can kick my ass.

That's harsh. Best of luck to you.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/