Old December 21st 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Whiting

Default Preheating engines: Airplane engines versus auto engines

Tauno Voipio wrote:
Matt Whiting wrote:
Tauno Voipio wrote:

Peter R. wrote:

--- clip clip --

Why is it that here in the Northeast US seemingly no one preheats their
automobile engine before start-up in very cold temperatures? Is the
long-term
damage the same for both autos and aircraft engines? If so, why do you
suppose auto owners don't typically do this? Is it because that most
auto
owners do not keep their cars very long?

Here in the north of Europe We'll pre-heat our cars if
possible, if the temperature goes below +5 C (whatever
it is in F, around 40?).

You can force an engine to start even at -30 C, but it
means that the poor thing runs some time practically
dry of lubrication.

Really? Where does all of the oil disappear to that was there when
the engine was shut down?

Matt

The lubrication is based on fluid between the metal
surfaces. When the oil thickens enough, it will not
get to the small spaces between the metal surfaces.

There was oil in those spaces when the engine was shut down and it
doesn't magically disappear. Most engines will run for some time with
no oil pressure and without damage.

Matt