Old December 8th 09, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

Default Reflections on a year of aircraft ownership

In article ,
Ross wrote:

brian whatcott wrote:
a wrote:
...what did you figure to be the break
even point between renting and owning something like a C150? My
'indifference point" many years ago (my language for the level of
usage where renting v owning were equal pains in the butt) was about
125 hours a year for a complex single.

The FBO owner mentioned he'd sold his C150 years ago - the customers
were getting too heavy to hold gross with decent fuel, he said.
For my biennial review, it was $150 for a one hour checkout with a
172 and instructor. That was way too much for my taste. But its
strange how $150 seems like nothing when putting another loran in or
whatever, if it's your own plane. There is just no comparison for me. I
expect to do 40 hours a year on up in it....

Brian W

When this group had all the regulars there use to be the AMU. I think it
was aeronautical money unit. It equaled $1000.00. Therefore your $150.00
was only .150 AMU. Doesn't sound so large.

I've read and heard the AMU referenced in many places outside this
group, so I think it's more widespread than that. Certainly can be
helpful to ease the pain of aviation-related expenses....

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth